Friday, August 19, 2011

just for clicks: just for kix

I'm always looking for great resources to help me in the classroom and in the studio for my students and for myself.  One that I find myself using frequently is Just for Kix.  This is a great website where you can order practice wear, performance wear and accessories, gifts, videos, music, and more.  However, my favorite are their resources. They have great articles on a range of topics from technique to nutrition and hundreds of videos. I have to admit that the videos are my first favorite.  These can all be found on their YouTube Channel. The videos are anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 minutes and have a number of features.  Some videos feature short combinations in different dance genres (hip-hop, lyrical, kick).  Others teach the technique and mechanics of specific tricks or turns.  These are great for when you find your choreography is becoming boring or you want to push your team to try something new.  Still, other videos focus on increasing flexibility or strengthening your center.

Sometimes, I give my officers the homework of learning a new trick and teaching the girls the following week at practice.  One of my lieutenants (who was awarded Kick Master at last year's competition), watched the following video and showed me the kick.  When school starts next week and we continue our practices, we will be teaching the "screwdriver kick" and working on perfecting as it will be in our field kick routine in a few weeks.

No comments: